Monday, May 15, 2006, 5/15/2006 05:29:00 PM

Reminding Employees of their Trade Secrets Obligations -- How Often Should it be Done?

Further to yesterday's post, from Professor David Hannah:

I noted your comment about reminding employees about their obligations to protect trade secrets on a regular basis. I agree with the importance of communicating regularly. What I found, though, is that too-frequent communications can result in employees tuning out due to information overload.

I also found that legal departments usually prefer more frequent meetings (e.g. quarterly) and other functional areas want less frequent ones (e.g. annually).

I suggest a compromise: bi-annual meetings. I also suggest sending periodic e-mail or memos in order to ensure that employees keep thinking about trade secret protection.

We recommend Professor Hannah's paper, "Keeping Trade Secrets Secret" in the MIT Sloan Management Review and available at the link here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

back to top